One of the famous French desserts, this creme brulee recipe will give you a classic French dessert to make you proud.
6 egg yolks
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
3 cups half & half
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cups light brown sugar
French Recipes Desserts -
Crème Brûlée recipe steps:
1. In a mixing bowl, gradually beat the granulated sugar into the egg yolks and continue beating for 5 min until mixture is lemon colored.
2. Place cream and vanilla in top of a double boiler and bring to a boil.
3. Very gradually pour boiling cream in a thin stream of droplets into the yolk mixture beating constantly.
4. Return mixture to the double boiler and stir, cooking over hot water 3-4 min or until slightly thickened.
5. Pour into a heat resistant serving dish
6. Chill for 6-8 hours or until set.
7. Sift brown sugar and sprinkle over the custard.
8. Place under the broiler about 4 inches from heat source for 3-4 min or until sugar melts, watching carefully.
10. Chill before serving.
The origin of the creme brulee recipe is difficult to trace. Julia Child said crème brûlée was actually Creole although I can find no reference to that in other sources. Elsewhere it is stated that the first traceable recipe in France is from 1610. What we do know is that crème brûlée is a mainstay of the French dessert and tastes great.
Check out more of my favorite French dessert recipes. Any meal is grand when you serve a French dessert!
Are French menus confusing? A guide to France food restaurant menus for eating out in France with confidence.
Hosting a dinner party? Try these easy French recipes for your party.
Food is one of many important aspects of the culture of France.
Having a romantic dinner party? What a great occasion to try out some of these French love phrases.
Will you be eating a famous French dessert in Paris?
Why not shop first to get an appetite... the best shopping in Paris guide for you.
Where to stay in Paris:
An overview of Paris boutique hotels
An overview of Paris budget hotels