This Baked French toast recipe is simple and easy to prepare. Perfect for breakfast (or dessert) it is low in fat because the only butter used is to coat the baking dish.
Did you know that French toast is really French? Pain Perdu “lost bread” is how the French use up stale bread and is a popular French food at home. They do not serve French Toast for breakfast but rather it is one of their easy French recipes for dessert.
Baked French Toast Recipe (Pain Perdu)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 - 20 minutes
1 cup milk (25 cl)
6 slices of stale peasant bread
1/3 cup sugar
Baked Easy French Toast Recipe step by step guide:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lightly butter a baking dish and set aside.
3. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar.
4. Add 1 to 2 slices of bread at a time to the milk mixture, tuning until saturated but not falling apart.
5. In the baking dish arrange soaked slices, pushing down if necessary to accommodate all the bread, pour the remaining mixture on top.
6. Bake immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refigerate for one hour.
(can stay refigerated overnight if the bread slices are thick)
7. Bake uncovered at 425F approximately 20-25 minutes.
French toast is done when the bread is puffed and top is golden.
Serve with butter, sprinkled with powdered sugar
The non French way, with Pure maple syrup
More Easy French recipes:Delicious skillet cooked easy French toast recipe .
Copyright ©2023 by Deborah Dutton, French-Culture-Adventures.com
All rights reserved